Sunday, December 30, 2012

Current Events


Being away, it is hard keeping in touch with reality. I have to schedule appointments to talk to my mom or sister and even those don’t always work out with our work schedules.  I barely talk to my friends who I usually call every other day at home. I see people’s lives moving forward via Facebook and feel so out of the loop sometimes. 

What is equally as bad as not communicating with fam and friends is trying to find out what is going on in the US.  My roommate Aurelio watches Politics EVERY single night.  I can tell you all about what is going on in Italy with Berlusconi, their economy, everything. 

Just in case you were wondering, all of our wonderful, glorious websites in America do not allow people outside of our country to participate.  Yes, I soon found out when I moved here that I would no longer be able to use Pandora, ABC.com, some sports networks, HULU, and many, many more.  I learned right away that I would no longer be watching television this year unless I use a Spanish or Italian website that may show some movies, if the website feels like it that day.

I would, however, like to thank a couple websites that have really done a good job making me feel like I have not completely disappeared. 

First, and foremost, is Mark and Mercedes podcast from Mix 94.1.  People who don’t know, let me tell you who they are.  They are a local Las Vegas morning radio show, which I am obsessed with.  I think they are hilarious and usually listen to their podcasts via Facebook while I’m in America too.  They don’t post them every single day and let me tell you… it simply breaks my heart.  Everyday I turn excitedly to the podcast page to hope there is a new recording.  They have kept me informed on all the celebrity gossip, the new music I should listen to, and just a good laugh while I ride in the stinky bus.

Also, is You Tube where I was able to follow the Election, Hurricane Sandy, and Sports Interviews with Kaepernick!  Woohoo GO PACK, GO KAP!!  I am so proud of him!  See, I am not TOTALLY out of the loop.  And of course the endless videos regarding the Connecticut shooting.  Those families have prayers being sent to them from all over the world.  I was able to see my President shed tears right there with me.

Lastly, I would like to thank my favorite TV network show, Ellen DeGeneres.  I am able to go to her website and watch all the previous episodes.  Ellen, if you are reading this right now.  You have kept a smile on my face when I feel so alone over here.  You show me that the world has many good people in it, and for that I thank you.

There are still a lot of things I would normally listen to or watch that I have no idea about, but at least I can avoid some culture shock coming back home.

If anyone has any important things I may have missed let me know!

I have heard some of you are having trouble leaving me comments on here.  I monitor all my comments so if they are not up right away don’t panic.  All you have to do is click on Comment.  Write your comment in the box under Post a Comment.  Below this box click Comment as:  Choose Name/URL.  Insert your name only and push Continue.  Hit publish when you are finished with your comment. Voila! They will be sent for me to approve.

Hope you had a great Christmas.  I was in Paris!!!!!!  Blog coming soon.

Meliss



1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for Mark, Mercedes and Ellen! LOL I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE HOME!!!!!!!!!!! Love MOM

    ReplyDelete