Sunday, October 21, 2012

Short Train Ride Away


If you have read any of the guidebooks, you know they rant and rave about Florence, Italy.  We took the train to the station outside the center of the city so we had to walk about 45 min until we were finally among locals and tourists.  We were walking through alleyways looking at all the detailed buildings and window sills; when I thought this looks very similar to ALL the other Italian buildings I have seen.  I have been to Venice, Treviso, and Bologna where their old buildings are just as amazing.  I guess I wanted something more out of Florence.

I wish so badly someone would have been video taping my face when I turned that corner.  I had been looking down at my I phone navigating my crew through the streets to find the Duomo.  As I turned the corner, it felt like I ran into a wall and my jaw dropped wide open.  This was honestly one of THEEEEEE most beautiful things I have ever seen.  The pictures of course do not do it justice and I actually am hesitant to show my pictures and videos because I want you ALL to come and see it for yourself.  The detail put into making this cathedral is mind blowing. 

We actually got to go inside to pray while someone was playing the huge organ.  To finally be able to pray in an old Cathedral this size was truly a blessing.  I was very thankful to be able to see all of this history just an hour away from where I live! 



















We went to the Uffizi Art Gallery where we all went our separate ways for over two hours.  There were a lot of famous paintings by Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, but I also tried to find ones that I normally wouldn't know about.  I decided my favorite painters are the ones who get the eyes right.  This is a very difficult thing to do especially when this is sometimes not even accomplished by the most famous artists.  Since I am apparently an eye art expert, I would be willing to tell any new artists out there whether or not you draw good eyes :)

Of course my favorite part of the gallery was the collection of old books with painted pictures in them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE books and wanted to shatter the glass container and run out with one.  I couldn’t take pictures in there, but I did write notes all over my pamphlet as to the names of the painters and paintings I loved. 

I will be going to Florence for two more days in January, which is cool since there is still so more to see and do. 

Click to check out my videos from Florence HERE 

Last weekend Laura and I took a day trip to Pisa.  The center was a lot smaller than I expected.  There actually weren’t too many tourists there.  We took lots of pictures and found an antique fair that happened to be going on only that weekend.  I wanted to buy everything. If only I had a billion dollars. There is so much stuff that I wanted to give to my family, but instead I just took pictures… that’s the same right? 






 This iron made me think of you mom. Cool chess pieces.

 I am OBSESSED with that white teapot (It looks like the blanket you have Jess)  Remind me to make one when I get home. 


We had a fun little adventure with the trains.  That particular day the train drivers decided to go on strike so we waited 3 hours and 6 cancelled trains later to get back to Florence.  From there we ran to the small bus with 50 smelly people to the other station outside the center.  From the bus stop we RAN (I mean ran like I was in the Olympics) to finally not make the train.  So after all of that, we had an hour to spare and ate until we were finally able to catch a train back to Bologna.  Always a great adventure when traveling throughout Europe. 

I was supposed to head to Verona today with Felix, but I have come down with a nasty cold.  I guess being around two sick students and a bus full of coughers will do that to you :(

It has been a tough week for me here.  Plain in simple… I miss home.  My grandpa had a stroke this week and while I know he is in good hands, I can’t help but want to be there to give him a BIG hug from his favorite granddaughter.  See how I threw that in there.  Just kidding April, Jessi, Suzi, and Sarah.  Please send a special prayer for my grandpa and everyone taking care of him. 

The fact that my sister found her wedding dress without me (you look amazing Jess) is very hard. AND 
All I want is for my mom to take care of me when I’m sick!  Yes, I know I am 25 years old and still want my mom to take care of me.  Trust me… she has super powers… a special gene that I did not inherit.  Pray for my future children.

I am hanging in there and the pictures posted above are what keep me going.  There is still so much more that I want to see before I leave. 

I hope everyone is embracing their favorite Fall traditions.  Halloween and baking is not big here in Italy.  Finding the right ingredients to make my homemade pumpkin bread and pies is nearly impossible.  I finally was able to make homemade chocolate chip cookies (sort of).  Their butter is strange, their vanilla is not liquid, their cinnamon has salt in it, no electric mixer here at Aurelios, no measuring cups, and his oven has no thermometer.  Luckily, I am a genius when it comes to baking and tested enough of the dough to make sure the cookies would come out edible.  Laura, Aurelio, and his co-workers loved them!  Little did they know I can make much much better.


 Give the trick-or-treaters extra candy on my behalf and drink a soy pumpkin latte or soy egg nog latte for me from Starbucks (hands down the number one thing I miss about America).  Yes I just said that. 

Ciao Ciao,
Meliss 

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness its all so gorgeous! you look great- im glad youre having a good time [aside from the sickness- your mom is a miracle worker!]. my friend asked me a question and i feel stupid asking but does italy have american resturants like we have italian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel! That is not a stupid question, but the answer is no. Well, they do but only in the big touristy places like Florence and Rome. I actually have only seen Hard Rock Cafe in Amsterdam and also in Florence. They also have McDonalds everywhere but it is sooooooo expensive! For a meal is like 7 or 8 euros. And they change the McDonalds meals to match Italian's taste buds. For example, for breakfast at McDonalds you can just get coffee and croissants just like every other caffe here. They don't sell egg mcmuffins or anything like that. I miss American food or just wish there was a little bit more or a variety to eat here. Most of the non touristy towns will have only a couple Chinese or Mexican restaurants but they are not authentic at all AND really expensive as well. America is great because it a huge mixture of all different cultures that bring their real authentic traditions to every city.... just not the case it Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meliss,

    I love the pics. Looks so amazing. How did the cookies turn out and be honest... Lol. I will say you do have a way with food.

    I am so happy for u and all that u are experiencing... If I win lottery I'll def make a trip to see you. Cross your fingers that happens. Now I have to get off my butt and buy lottery tickets.

    So happy we were able to FaceTime u this weekend. Now that I have the correct email in my phone I want more dates. Have fun, be safe and I think of you often. Love you little sis! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!!!! You look so happy and care free Mis, I love reading your blogs, it feels like I'm actually there. Miss and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete