Sunday, September 2, 2012

Amsterdam


When I first went on the plane to go to Amsterdam the male flight attendant was sooooooooo nice.  He first brought me (only me) a cold compress because it was super hot.  Then he brought me his favorite yogurt for free.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him I am lactose intolerant so I ate the whole cup :)  He thanked me for my pretty smile and pretty earrings. hahaha I think he was German, but the people next to me were cracking up.  Good start to my trip!

I met up with Matt Reincke… a family friend…. and his friends who are all in the American Air force stationed in Germany.  We had such a great time walking around bar hoping.













We went to Anne Frank’s house where she lived for two years in hiding.  Was very humbling to be there.  You feel so much history being in Europe, and how horrible the war was for so many people.  It was such a small area where Anne and her family had to hide.  Down below them was still a working business that used to belong to her father, so they had to keep still during the day without speaking a word.  They couldn’t even open a window a crack just in case someone would see. 





After we were all a little glum we decided to go to the Heineken Factory :)

LOVED IT!! 

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the good ol green beer.  It is a playground for adults.  You learn about the history, have a show about how the beer is made in a room that moves around like a little roller coaster, and of course drink Heineken!  There were probably about 20 different rooms you can go into to do fun activities, but my specialty was pouring the perfect Heineken beer.  Nobody could do it BUT ME!  I guess all those years serving beer after beer finally paid off!  I didn’t win anything except bragging rights, but that’s good enough for me!  







We had a lot of fun in Amsterdam but there was still so much more I wanted to do and see…. I guess I will just have to go again someday.  I think it would be fun if my sister, Brian, and Meesha were there with me.  I thought of them a lot while I was there…. maybe it was all the beer I drank that reminded me of our Saturday doesn’t matter days and Sunday fun days.  Woohooo!

It was Marco’s dads 75th birthday the other day so we celebrated Italian style with yummy vino and Tacchino or Turkey.  Marco’s parents don’t speak ANY English and I don’t speak ANY Italian so let’s just say I was mentally exhausted by the end of the night.  I had to pull out my translator book about a million times just to tell them what my sister does for a living exactly haha  They are so nice to me and we still find the same things hilarious even if we don’t speak the same language. 

Oh and Marco’s parents watch this Italian soap opera EVERY single night and you aren’t aloud to talk while it's on.  Marco’s dad is very into it and didn’t think it was amusing when I was laughing at an intense dramatic scene.  If only I could speak Italian and tell him I’m a lover of Bold and the Beautiful and Young and the Restless back home. We have a connection and he doesn't even know it :)



Sorry it took so long to write about my trip.  I have quite a few new adventures being planned.... very exciting!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday.  I am very jealous of those of you who get to watch football today... I'm going to die without being able to watch my favorite sport!!!!!  GO PACK!!!


Ciao,

Meliss

4 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun!!! I am glad you went are were able to explore! Now, I guess vacation is over and work begins! Love, April

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! You sound like you're having a blast! You should watch that Italian soap and it will help you learn Italian!

    ReplyDelete