Monday, August 20, 2012

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm


Carbs, Meat, Carbs, Carbs and more Meat.

I am trying to listen to my stomach when it tells me, “MISSI YOU ARE FULL!!” …. but I can’t!  Like I said before, people go grocery shopping EVERYDAY for fresh food to cook for their daily lunch and dinners.  Breakfast isn’t very big here.  Usually you eat a croissant or as Italian’s call it, a brioche con marmalade, con crème, or con chocolate with a café.  Italian’s eat a pasta dish for lunch, and some kind of meat for dinner.  They eat pork, steak, ginny foul, or even rabbit.   I on the other hand have to eat little meals every couple hours so I still eat my cereal with soy milk and bread with jam in the morning.  Coffee just doesn’t cut it :)

Marco has cooked me two pasta dishes that have actually been my favorite meals here in Italy thus far.  Fresh clams, muscles, shrimp, and scallops.  Ahhhhhh I was in heaven. 




See how much pasta is on this plate?  Yep I ate it all.  No guilt.

We buy fresh cut prosciutto and sopressa (salami) every couple of days for snacks.  This is my favorite with cheese:)



So we went to downtown Treviso to the Farmer’s Market.  Reminded me of Mexico, but a little different.  It sells fresh fruit, cheese, and clothes.  I also am including some pictures of downtown Treviso.  I seriously love this area…. so much small town culture.









First Gelato!!




Here is a huge steak I got that was freshly killed. Just Kidding but it is very fresh meat.  They don’t add very much spice to their food because they say it loses its natural flavor.  We went to this restaurant that is up in the mountains owned by this cute little Italian man.  Him and his family own this winery and cook all this delicious food themselves.  He let me go around the cantina and take pictures.  I want to ship those old barrels home with me!  He said I can have them if I can get them to America. They actually just throw them away after their picking season… can you believe it? Also, the son might come get English lessons from Emily and I.  His son is in charge of the wine and he said we can go help pick the grapes and learn the Presecco making process in a couple weeks. Very exciting for us.  







  


Oh and something so funny.  Italian’s think that if you are directly in front of a fan or use the air conditioning you will get sick.  Today we were driving and the air conditioning was on Marco and he got mad Emily wouldn’t turn it down.  It was 90 degrees outside with 65% humidity, so you could say we were a little hot, ANYWAY, Marco put a scarf over his belly saying that he was getting a stomach ache from the air being too cold on him. Hahahahaha Needless to say me and Emily were cracking up.  Marco’s mom wears a scarf around her neck when she goes to the grocery store because she said the cool air gave her bronchitis.  Oh man that seriously makes me laugh.  I guess all older Italian’s swear by this.

I am so thankful God is allowing me to experience this.  I am being tested in several ways, but pray I am here in Italy for a reason.  If only to meet great people and equally teach English and learn Italian.

Ciao,
Meliss

No comments:

Post a Comment